STYLE YOUR LOOK INTERVIEW Alicia Sanchez
Tell us a bit about your background, both work and education. How did you come to find your true passion?
My roots are from Dominican Republic but I was born in Lynn , Mass I was always later involved in the arts and my parents were entrepreneurs . I knew that I wanted to do something with Fashion. I attended a performing Arts High school where fashion really sparked in Costume Design I later Went to College to do business but my fashion design skills led me to make money from my Dorm in Miami and getting connected with industry professionals to really guide me. The path with working for several corporate America companies where great but my heart wanted to do more. During the: finding me process” I had to fight Cancer find balance with everything I love and find happiness but Fashion was always there keeping me a float. I traveled the world making sure My brand was represented and it would not des no matter if I felt everything else in my life was falling apart. I currently Sell wholesale internationally, Curator of Fashion Designers Business Academy helping other designers build a brand and profitable business. Owner of La Sewing Café A kids Fashion Design & Sewing school Where Kids can start their dreams. All I know that adversities always lead to amazing things so that’s how I found my passions.
After reading about what it means to us to #StyleYourLife, how do you style your life? How do you customize it and make your life for you?
#StyleYourLife… means being HAPPY. When your happy and you will feel great and look great. When you’re happy everything just radiates on you even if you’re wearing a mumu so I say style your life with confidence and being happy. Don’t try to be like anyone else just BE YOU and embrace it #snapsnap
Can you tell us a bit about what’s in store for your future?
The future for Favala Designs will be branching to have its very first retail store in 2015 in my home country of Dominican Republic. Fashion Designers Business Academy we want to continue to inspire, impact, source and brand designers who want to build a business and coach them along the way. La Sewing Café is going to definite empower little girls worldwide very soon as we have some things that will involve a global movement.
Do you have any tips/tricks to share with aspiring women in business and fellow female leaders?
Tricks and Tips I would share to aspiring women in business is invest in yourself because if you don’t why should other s invest in you. You can never know everything so keep learning and always keep an open mind to constructive critique.
What does it mean to be happy, to you? Can you share 5 tips to happiness?
Five tips to Happiness in my opinion.. Live in abundance, Laugh it keeps you young and DANCE, don’t sweat the small stuff, have faith over fear, do everything with love
How would you advise other women to take control of their careers and customize their lives in all aspects?
The best advice for women to take control of their lives and careers is Organizing and balance but most important make sure that your not trying to be wonder woman and create a team of people who will help you with that said surround yourself with other amazing people. That energy is contagious.
As entrepreneurs, especially female entrepreneurs, we will need the support of so many as the early days will be long and hectic. Women are typically the one in the home caring for the kids and having other demands within the home. I suggest ensuring that there is an efficient support system when you are unavailable for your children. Additionally I suggest a support system for when you just want to vent about your experiences! You will need relatiosnhips with one or two women experiencing entreuprenurship in order to support, cheer and encourage one another in difficult and celebratory times.
In addition I suggest getting a great calendar in which you place everything going on in your life, including scheduled off days, date nights, children events, etc. It is important not to forget about the things that you enjoy and that are important to you as you build a new business. Therefore putting it on a calendar will help you to remember. Do this early on because things will get crazy soon after you decide to enter your new venture.
My final tip would be to get out and network as much as possible. It is a great way to get the word out about your business, but it is also a wonderful way to meet new like-minded people. Meeting new people and exchanging ideas and personal stories is a great way to build solid relationships and strategies that can take your business to new heights.
These tips combined with a great business model, tenacity and a serious desire to kick butt in your industry are the keys to living the life of your dream
What does it mean to be happy, to you?
Being happy means I am doing the things that give me the most satisfaction. That satisfaction outweighs any feelings of sadness I may experience. I have learned that I can have it all, but I may not have it all at the same time. What I mean by that is I have accepted that I may have a great career moment, but during that time my relationship with my significant other may suck! I may have an amazing week with my kids, but my bank account is not where I’d like it to be! Realizing that all areas of my life cannot be 100% simultaneously causes me to accept both the highs and lows of life. Embracing it and knowing that better moments lie ahead allows me to find happiness.
Can you share 5 tips to style your life’s wealth? Any financial advice for women?
My biggest piece of financial advice is to always live below your means. Once large checks start coming in it can be tempting to buy the biggest home and drive the best car; however is it worth it? If there happens to be a family emergency would you be ok financially? Living well, but still below your means is possible. My other tips for styling my life’s wealth are:
1. Create a strict budget and live by it. As an entrepreneur your income may not be steady; you may have good financial periods as well as low financial periods. Creating a realistic budget and following it will allow you to have a resource for the periods when your income is low.
2. Commit to a savings plan. Even if it is $5.00 per week, get into the habit of putting something on the side. The easiest way to commit to saving is to make it automatic. Having an emergency fund can help with unexpected car repairs, an emergency plane ticket, etc. There are so many unknowns that can happen; it is important to be financially prepared.
3. Set weekly financial goals. As an entrepreneur there is no cap on how much money can be made. I remind myself of this as I determine how much I would like to make for the week. I pick a realistic number and I write it on a post-it and stick it on my bathroom mirror and another on my computer. I am reminded all day of what I need to attempt to achieve. It is a great motivator and the incentive is twice as great ☺
4. Think about retirement. Given the fact that as an entrepreneur you may not have a 401k plan to contribute to, I suggest opening an IRA or creating some other financial plan for retirement. Although you may be a young entrepreneur now you will one day be an old entrepreneur. Plan now so that you will not be an old broke former entrepreneur!
5. Invest in Yourself. Making and investment in yourself can be the best business investment you will ever make. Abraham Lincoln once said, “Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four hours sharpening the axe.” Imagine yourself as the axe. You can accomplish so much more and accomplish your goals so much quicker once you have honed your skill. Honing your skill can come from purchasing material to improve, seminars, training, etc. Take advantage of as many opportunities to improve yourself and your skills.